About Honor Band
The University of Arizona High School Honor Band offers student musicians from across the western states to perform in concert on The University or Arizona campus. Membership is based upon experience and playing ability.
Deadline to Apply is Monday, December 4 at 10am MST
January 11-13, 2018
- January 11: 5:00pm – 6:00pm Registration / Placement-Only Auditions
- January 12: 9:00am – 9:00pm
- January 13: 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Masterclass with the UA faculty
- Faculty Concert
- Full ensemble rehearsals
- Concert in Crowder Hall
- Recording of concert performance
- Fred Fox School of Music orientation
- Pizza party with the “Pride of Arizona” Pep Band
- Dr. Chad R. Nicholson, director, Prof. Chad Shoopman, guest conductor
Info for Students
You have been recommended by your high school band director to apply on-line for the University of Arizona Honor Band.
This event offers you the opportunity to join with other musicians from across the western states to perform in concert on The University or Arizona campus. Membership will be based upon your experience and playing ability.
All students interested in participating in the Honor Band must fill out the Honor Band Application.
Participation fee is $30.00 Payment for the UA High School Honor Band will be collected at the registration table during check-in time. Check or money orders only and must be made out to THE UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA.
Payment must be received at the time of check-in on January 11th.
Chair Placement Auditions
Chair Placement only auditions will be held on the first day of the event and will take place in the order in which you register.
All students will perform a chair placement audition the first night of the event. These auditions are strictly for placement. Once you have passed the pre-screening process and completed the commitment form, students are guaranteed to be in the honor band and are expected to pay the fee, attend the event, and perform the audition.
If you are interested in participating in the Honor Band but are NOT auditioning for admission/scholarships, only fill out the Honor Band Application Form and download the chair placement audition music for your instrument.
Annual Concerto Competition
We are delighted to announce the second annual concerto competition in conjunction with the honor band. The selected winner will be chosen by UA faculty and will be featured on the finale concert on Saturday, January 13, 2018.
Concerto Competition Requirements:
- You must be a participant in the 2018 UA High School Honor Band.
Wind and percussion instruments are welcomed to audition.
- You must audition with a solo/concerto of your choice. Your audition music should be no longer than ten minutes in length and should include piano accompaniment. You do not have to perform with accompaniment during your audition recording.
- The winner of the concerto competition will have a pianist provided to them by the UA Bands for rehearsal and performance during the finale festival concert.
- You must submit your video recording electronically (via YouTube). Links to your audition submission must be sent by December 4, 2017. Email links to Evan Gibson, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you live outside the Tucson area, you will be responsible for your own hotel accommodations. Discounted rates will be offered for those needing accommodations. This information will be made available to you upon acceptance into the honor band festival.
We promise an exciting musical experience and look forward to receiving your application.
The University of Arizona offers you the opportunity to audition for admission/scholarship while you are here. Admission/Scholarship auditions for students interested in attending the University of Arizona will be held on the first day of the event. The audition process will also include a short music theory placement exam while you are here.
If you are a high school senior WHO WILL BE auditioning for admission/scholarship to the The University of Arizona, fill out the Honor Band Application Form above and ALSO follow these easy 1-2-3 steps.
- Apply to The University of Arizona
- Submit a Fred Fox School of Music Application
- Schedule a scholarship audition time by emailing David McGuiggan at email@example.com by Monday, January 1, 2018, 5:00 pm AST.
Please check the Fred Fox School of Music admission page regarding any questions you may have Fred Fox School of Music Admissions
Admission/Scholarship Audition Materials
Click here to find your instrument and follow the directions for obtaining audition music.
The Honor Band size is limited, so get your application in early! Upon receipt of your application, you will receive additional information and the detailed schedule. If you live outside of the Tucson area, you will be responsible for your own hotel accommodations. The UA Band Office will arrange for a hotel at a discount rate. This information will be made available to you upon acceptance into the Festival.
We promise you an exciting musical experience and look forward to receiving your application.
Director of Bands
If you have any questions, please call 520.621.1175.
Info for Directors
Invitation & Selection Process
Thank you for taking the time to recommend your students to participate in the University of Arizona Honor Band. We encourage you to attend as well. It will be a great opportunity for you to observe rehearsals, master classes, collaborate with fellow colleagues, and attend the finale concert.
This invitation is your recommendation for the student to attend. Students are strongly encouraged to apply individually on-line. If the student does not have internet access, please assist them in the online application.
The following lists the order of operations for determining the personnel in the UA High School Honor Band. Please note that these guidelines serve as a foundation for selection, but the final instrumentation is dependent upon the needs of the music as established by the guest conductor along with UA Director of Bands.
Note: Director comments are a very important part to the overall selection process. We urge all directors who nominate student to give comments on student’s playing abilities and commitment to their musical experiences.
- Year in school in combination with director comments: Seniors and Juniors are given priority, and director comments contain critical information that assists the process. Sophomores and Freshman are considered after qualified Juniors and Seniors with strong director comments have been utilized to balance sectional needs. We urge the directors to rank the students based on their strengths. While this is not a requirement, this information will absolutely guide the selection process for the honor band.
- Past ensemble/awards received outside of the school that they attend. For example: Arizona All-State Band/Orchestra, Arizona Regional Honor Band/Orchestra, Arizona Solo and Ensemble, Past years in UA High School Honor Band or other honor bands.
- Years playing: Number of years the student has been playing their instrument from when they started to present day.
Once pre-screening has been completed, students will receive an email confirming selection to the honor band. Attached to that email, there will be a commitment form that the students and parents/guardians will sign. The commitment form confirms that the student will be attending the honor band.
This commitment form has a two-week deadline once the student/parents have been notified on placement in the honor band. Once the two-week mark has passed with no returned commitment form, alternates or those who sent applications after the deadline will be placed in the group. Students who do not confirm within the given time frame risk being replaced by alternates.